Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Records

I just bought the new Belle and Sebastian album on vinyl (more on that album later) so I thought I would do a post on why I buy new records. I find the biggest problem with ITUNES and CDS is that you lose the feeling of music as an object. When I buy a CD or MP3, I don't get the feeling of ownership, I just get a feeling of having appropriated another few songs to my itunes library.
When I buy vinyl, I get something. You can look at the cover art (once, in the case of My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura, the beautiful cover art gave me the final push to buy the album) and you have to a feeling of an object. When I buy a record I have something that will keep and is worthy of keeping for a long time.
Due to the current price of records I only buy ones that I want to own. I own records that date back to the 30s, so I can say truly that they endure. I always like to think that I will keep my collection of new records for a long time and am buying a core collection of music for if I could have no more then this.

No comments:

Post a Comment